Saturday, December 24, 2016

"Post-Truth"


Looking back over my recent blog-posts, I notice I somehow deleted one of the most important.

Earlier this month, brother Tim called my attention to the fact that the prestigious Oxford Dictionary of the English Language had picked "post-truth" as its 2016 "Word of the Year."

Several of my recent blogs talk about the issues of a "post-truth" world.  Lacking the initial blog about the meaning of that term my comments may lack the necessary context: so I post it here again.

The Oxford folks define "post-truth" as

"relating to or denoting circumstances in which objective facts are less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief."

They note that the word is virtually always used in a political context: and that its sudden prominence in 2016 was a result of the U.K.'s Brexit referendum and the U.S. presidential election.

 The Oxford Dictionary website has additional information and reflection on "post-truth," and on any other question you can possibly think of about the English language .

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/word-of-the-year/word-of-the-year-2016

No comments: