Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Manipulators


I rail frequently against those I call "manipulators." The "spin-doctors" are constantly working to guide our thoughts in the ways that serve their purposes. I rail most frequently at the blatant political manipulation of Christians' thinking, making them embrace nationalism, hatred, contempt for the poor, for foreigners, for the sick...

But it's taken me a long time to grasp manipulation's deep sinfulness.

It's wrong to use other people for your purposes. It's just wrong.

I know there are people (and I know people) who think they're doing it for our own good. There are certainly those who know it's not; and they are the more culpable. But the purpose is the same: to make us think the way they want us to think, and do what they want us to do.

The manipulator's purpose is to make us his slave.

Bottom-line: manipulation is spiritual warfare. The character-profile of its author is most clearly visible when professional manipulators "spin" truth to their false advantage, in order to get us to do evil.

Bottom-line: resisting manipulation is spiritual warfare.

Amen !

No comments: