Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Facebook Again


A "facebook friend" posted one of those personal attacks on President Obama that factionalists so love. His post was more vile than most: which is saying a lot in a society that's come to regard vicious personal attack as acceptable political discourse. Very much analogous to our deadened acceptance of people spewing profanity in public places.

This particular post was more vile than most because it was filled with hatred not just for the President, but for every person who voted for him (a majority of voters, in our political system), their reasons for voting for him...and as my "friend" put it, anyone who "thinks he is O.K." That's a lot of hate.

The format was something like: "If you voted for Obama...because of his qualifications, then you are ignorant...of his economic plan, then you are a moron...;" and so on, through "delusional," "a racist," "greedy," "a tool," "an idiot," etc.. The kicker (for the approving choir of factionalists, anyway) was, "if you voted for him because you TRULY know what he stands for, then you are a traitor."

Only five or six sentences: but lots of hatred, towards lots of people.

Spiritually, such stuff is of more substantive sin than someone ranting profanity in public. I have to guess the writer of this post is ignorant of what God says about speaking evil of rulers, or what Jesus said about calling people "fool;" and doesn't realize he's pouring forth sin. Or maybe he knows what God says in those scriptures, and just doesn't take it seriously, in practice.

But there's a spiritual consideration besides foundational belief and practical obedience. In this time of intense spiritual warfare, I've learned to weigh all things in those terms. It was a no-brainer in this case: spewing hatred is manifestly spiritual attack.

What impressed me, when my facebook "friend" replied to my disapproving comments, was that his response was more civil and thoughtful than the hate-filled post he'd copied to facebook under his name. He clearly despised Obama (which he professed to believe was the issue), but without the belligerent rhetoric: and agreed the post's attacking so many other people was uncalled for. It brought the spiritual warfare into focus for me.

I doubt President Obama, or those who voted for him, or anyone who "thinks he is O.K." is harmed by the vitriol my "friend" 's copied post directs at them. Maybe the original writer of the post operates on the voodoo belief that he can wound and kill people by targeting them with words of hatred: I'm a Christian, and don't. Indeed, as a Christian, I'd consider the spiritual effects of such a diatribe runs the other direction, wounding and (ultimately) killing anyone whose heart is so hate-filled.

The matter of posing also came to mind. Speaking as himself, my "friend" was clearly much more honest, temperate...decent...than the post he approvingly copied to facebook. NOT that his "posing" was hypocritical whatever: he truly despises President Obama, and doesn't pretend otherwise. But neither is he a creature of violent malevolence like the writer of the post (who might himself be striking a pose more demonic than his real character).

Indeed, I don't use "posing" here in any negative sense. Few of us are so completely authentic that we don't pose some times, in some degree, as someone not exactly who we really are. In Mere Christianity, C. S. Lewis even points out that "posing" is part of how we become fully Christian. Beginning with the first words of the prayer Jesus taught us to say, "Our Father...", we are enjoined to talk and act as if we were the Son of God: knowing we're only "putting on Christ" (Romans 13:14) like a mask of One much better than we are, over our true faces. In Lewis' understanding, Christ fulfills the ancient myths in reality, as our faces grow into the likeness of the Son-mask He bids us wear.

It seems to work the same way in the other direction. Decent, "good" people: perhaps Christian people: may also pose as something much worse than their real character. It's beyond my understanding WHY a good person would want to be seen as evil: but many of my facebook "friends" seem to, usually as a "political" stance. Some even seem to be growing into that mask, if their love of "enmity, strife, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions" (Galatians 5) are good indicators.

God is liberal in mercy: maybe He'll call back to their first Love some who've chosen to pose in "the deeds of the flesh." But there are masks worse than that carnal one. Scripture says flatly that those who profess to love God, but hate their brother, are LIARS. (I John 4:20) It seems a cautionary scripture for Christians who choose to pose as something less (and every pose but Christ is something less). The most fearful thing I can imagine happening to any person would be choosing the pose of hatred: and taking off the mask to find one's face grown into the likeness of the father of lies.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

It's in fact very difficult in this active life to listen news on Television,
thus I just use world wide web for that reason, and obtain the hottest
information.

Anonymous said...

Heya! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new iphone 4!
Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to
all your posts! Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Great blog here! Additionally your website loads up fast!
What host are you the usage of? Can I get your affiliate hyperlink in your host?
I wish my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol

Anonymous said...

Hello are using Wordpress for your blog platform? I'm new to the blog world but I'm
trying to get started and create my own. Do you require any html coding expertise to make
your own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous said...

It's an remarkable piece of writing for all the web visitors; they will obtain advantage from it I am sure.

Anonymous said...

I am not certain where you are getting your information, but great topic.
I must spend some time finding out more or figuring out more.

Thanks for great info I used to be searching for this information for my mission.

Anonymous said...

Keep on writing, great job!

Anonymous said...

Ahaa, its nice dialogue on the topic of this article here at this webpage, I have read
all that, so now me also commenting here.

Anonymous said...

It's a pity you don't have a donate button! I'd certainly donate to
this brilliant blog! I suppose for now i'll settle for book-marking and
adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to brand new updates and will share this site with my
Facebook group. Chat soon!

Anonymous said...

I love reading through an article that can make men and women think.

Also, many thanks for allowing me to comment!

Anonymous said...

An impressive share! I've just forwarded this onto a co-worker who was doing a little
homework on this. And he actually ordered me lunch because I stumbled upon it for him...
lol. So allow me to reword this.... Thank YOU for the
meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending the time to talk about this matter here on your web site.

Anonymous said...

Heya i'm for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much.
I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought about creating an e-book or guest authoring on other
sites? I have a blog based on the same subjects you discuss and would really like to have
you share some stories/information. I know my viewers would enjoy
your work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

Anonymous said...

It's a pity you don't have a donate button! I'd certainly donate to this outstanding blog!
I guess for now i'll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
I look forward to brand new updates and will talk about this blog with my Facebook
group. Talk soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your article seem
to be running off the screen in Ie. I'm not sure if this
is a format issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I thought I'd post to let you know.
The style and design look great though! Hope you get the problem solved soon. Cheers

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I enjoy reading through your article post.

I like to write a little comment to support you.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's what I was looking for, what a stuff! existing here
at this blog, thanks admin of this site.

Anonymous said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this
blog. I really hope to view the same high-grade blog posts from you
in the future as well. In truth, your creative
writing abilities has encouraged me to get my
own, personal site now ;)

Anonymous said...

I don't even understand how I stopped up right here,
however I believed this put up was once good. I don't understand who you are however definitely you are going to a well-known blogger in the event you
aren't already. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Today, I went to the beach front with my kids.

I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She
placed the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.

She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely
off topic but I had to tell someone!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's just me or if everybody else experiencing problems with your site.
It appears like some of the written text in your content are running off the
screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let
me know if this is happening to them as well? This might
be a issue with my web browser because I've had this happen before.
Many thanks

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I simply would like to give you a huge thumbs up
for your great info you have right here on this post.
I will be returning to your website for more soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm really inspired along with your writing talents as neatly as with the layout to your blog.
Is that this a paid subject or did you customize
it your self? Either way stay up the excellent quality writing,
it is rare to see a great weblog like this one these days..